I have a few minutes before we leave for our ride today - we're doing 'porters pass' which has a little more than 3000ft of climbing in about 10 miles (then we'll continue on for another 30 miles). The guides say the climb is equivalent to those in the Tour (de France) - although not the biggest or hardest of the Tour climbs.
I hope my out of shape butt can make it to the top!!! If not I'm going to have to get picked up to ride in the sag wagon (van) and will feel like a HUGE wuss!
Everything is all decked out for Christmas here. Yesterday I went to mass at the cathedral here in Christchurch. They sure don't have churches like this in WI. There was a boys and mens choir that was very pretty.
Post ride email:
So today KICKED MY ASS. Holy shit, when the guides say this is a hard ride, they mean it. I walked up not only the big climb of the day, but every big hill (i.e. mountainside) after that. My legs are toast. And then about 1/2 way through a big old headwind picked up. It was grrrrreat. And did I mention it rained a solid 3/4 of the day? Good thing the scenery made up for all that. I was about the 3rd quickest, but I'm a solid 15-20 years younger than everyone on the trip so I sorta feel like a big wimp. Seriously, by the time I got done I was going about 6 miles an hour - so very slow. Tomorrow we have a choice of 3 distances - I'm thinking about doing the shortest one to give my legs a break.
I just got back from a little tour of the sheep farm (this place is an ecolodge of sorts - it's a really nice lodge AND also a sheep farm). Sheep are SO cute. Makes me want to have a hobby farm someday with little sheepies! SHEEPIES!
No comments:
Post a Comment